Re: Next release

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:50:48 +0100

Citát Adam Fedor <address@hidden>:

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 3:03 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What are the plans for the next GNUstep -bas and -gui releases?
> >
> > Is it possible to make minor releases more often and to publish
> > plans/todos for
> > next major and minor releases?
> >
> > Moreover, can people who make releases describe the whole process on
> > the new
> > wiki so others delegated developers can make the releases when
> > official release
> > manager can not?

I've put the instructions here:

http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_release_procedure

Wehre one can find the scripts you are mentioning there?

> My plan so far:
>
> binary compatible releases (by the end of March)
> base 1.10.2 (based on CVS from Feb 22 2005)
> gui 0.9.5
> back 0.9.5

Can this be more often? Last minor gui release dates to september or october
last year. Most of GNUstep based projects requre "fresh GNUstep CVS checkout".
That requirement should be totaly removed.

> Actually, I'm ahead of things so I could make these releases even
> sooner if there is general interest.

See argument above.

> binary incompatible release (a few weeks or month later):
> base 1.11.0
> gui 0.10.0
> back 0.10.0
>
> Really, the hard part is not 'making' the release. That's quite easy
> and almost fun.  The part I really want help with is having people who
> know each library well to act as library managers - make up a list of
> release criteria and tell me when a good time to make a release is.
> GNUstep is to big and too much work for me to do this all by myself.

What about explicitly assigning and publishing a core developer(s) to each
GNUstep package? The package development leader should:
- publish TODO list and goals for the package
- publish plans for the next release (can be discussed with others)
- approve releases

The last one means, that the package development leader do not have to do the
release if he does not have time. He just approves that anyone else can make
the release. Releases can do even novice GNUstep users if they have
instructions and approval. If nothing else, they can at least learn the
sctructure of the GNUstep by this.

In addition, ca we make releases even there were no significant changes in the
library, only small bugfices? Those releases can keep GNUstep users attentive
and they will at least have the impression, that something is happening. "Hey,
we care about you, here is a new releases with fixes of the problem you were
having, you do not need to use that hack anymore.".

Problem is, that we all are living too much in the CVS GNUstep world and see
constant changes. Outside world does not see the changes.

Here is the Roadmap page:

http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Roadmap

Perhaps we should have "Roadmap - package_name" pages if the first one will be
too long.

Thoughts?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi