Re: GNUstep Quarterly Report, Mar 05

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep Quarterly Report, Mar 05
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:32:57 -0400

On May 6, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Alex Perez wrote:

Adam Fedor wrote:
At the time I sent this, I didn't know how much money we had collected from the FSF. As of March 31 we have about $900 US in funds. If you have any suggestions or comments, let me know. One idea to help with the server farm is to use sourceforge, but we need a project registered here to access it. I was also thinking about buying a computer for someone, with a 'critical' OS that we want to support better...

Personally, I think investing in a piece of hardware would be a rather poor use of funds, especially when all we need to do is register a GNUstep project at sourceforge and get a very nice compile/test farm for free.

I agree, although I haven't used the sourceforge farm and can't report as to its effectiveness. It WOULD be nice to have someplace to compile and remotely (via X) run GNUstep _apps_, not just the libraries. Unfortunately two important OS's (Windows and OS X) don't work via X, so some kind of VNC solution would be needed, which might not work well over the internet. In general though, this sort of thing seems like more appropriate for GNU / Savannah to provide, rather than one of GNU's projects..

As for uses of the funds, it's still not very much but it would be great if we could use it to pay people to do grunt tasks that no one really wants to work on but would really help the state of the project -- like filling out documentation, working on rarely used / cared-about GUI methods / corner cases that are still worth implementing, etc.. This would work well for someone between jobs, or who usually works as a contractor anyway, but like I say the amount of funds is still a little paltry for this..