Hi, I'm back

From: David Lázaro Saz
Subject: Hi, I'm back
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:40:22 +0200

Hi there,

I'm back. After five odd years away from GNUstep development I can return contributing again. My circumstances have changed a lot, obviously, from the beginnings of 2000. I'm older and all that. I've been a professional developer all this years, mainly in commercial/proprietary code bases.

I've been reading the list archives to get a feeling of where are the things now. I grinned all the way through the recent conversation about why GNUstep is not sexy for Mac OS X developers. I've been there but after some reflection I feel a need, both personal and professional, to get some things finished in GNUstep. A solid, stable and out-of-beta gnustep would be too much of a good thing to pass on.

Now, my interests. I've developed a commercial Mac OS X/OpenStep application for my work and would like to stop developing with the old OPENSTEP Enterprise for Windows and begin using GNUstep for our Windows port. I know GNUstep is not there yet and that is where I think that I could be helpful, with my knowledge of the Windows APIs and the UNIX and Cocoa/OS on the other side.

I have personal goals for this porting effort that could be at odds with the current design of the GNUstep GUI library and parts of foundation so I'd like to discuss my ideas with the people that are now actively in charge of the Windows parts of the code. Drop me a message and I'll tell you what are my impressions or contact me through AIM at this e-mail address (my time zone is GMT+1, Europe/ Madrid, mind you).

Adding a little bit of detail to the picture, the main goal is for this app to be completely integrated with the Windows look and feel. I've developed some tests libraries in a variety of languages: C, C+ +, Ruby bindings, you name it. The end result is that there are some things that I didn't think that could be done that are, well, doable and working on Windows. Things like activating XP theme support from a DLL dynamically that I haven't seen done on other GUI libraries. That was developed some months ago.

Then I looked into how that could be integrated in our current apps. Looked through the active cross platform, open source, toolkit efforts without success. After everything has been examined and reexamined I think that the easiest path, taking into account my experience, is to get the GNUstep code base and bend it as needed to accept this. That way I will get what I need and maybe other people can put that to good use, too.

My main desktop/personal OS is OS X now and I've got a machine available that boots to NEXTSTEP 3.3 so if someone needs something related to that (testing, some questions answered, screenshots, for example) drop me a line too.

Finally, although I've got all the papers signed for copyright related to GNUstep, I'd rather wait until I feel the time is right to ask for commit access again (this one is obvious, I know). Hope this diatribe didn't end up too long and too boring.

Cheers,

David.