Re: image and scroll view quirks

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: image and scroll view quirks
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:13:53 +0200

Riccardo wrote:

> after Fred fixed the problem scrolling of an image inside a scroll view
> I noticed the introduced (or exposed) a bug. It is not fatal, but may be
> worth investigation.
>
> a quick note: the original problem was that when the image was larger
> than the view and scrlling was needed, only a part of the picture
> actually displayed, scrollbars were there and scrolled, but only a lower
> left rect showed the contents. This on xlib.
>
> As an example I am referring to how images are displayed inside the
> PRICE main window.
>
> right now, a strange shadow happens: the whole window is drawn, the
> image correctly filing all the window area and in the correct size, but
> a "shadow" appears in form of a rect where formerly with the old bug the
> image was displayed. I can clearly see the borders super-impressed to
> the correct image, then after a time, the image gets probably re-drawn
> again and the final result is correct.
>
> This is particularly evident with big images (like 1024x768 or greater).
>
> I wonder if this is a bug and that it makes display slower and more
> inefficient than what it should be, redrawing things twice.
>
> PS: I haven't filed a bug yet, I wanted to know other peoples comments
> and maybe Fred or someone has a rapid fix.

I tried to reproduce this behaviour with different GNUstep image drawing
applications (including the version of PRICE that I am using), but
failed. GNUstep surely is slow in drawing large images, especially when
scaled, but that is all that I could see. could you provide an image to
demonstrate the behaviour and if possible also a screen shot of the
wrong display?

Cheers
Fred