SIGSEGV Errors

From: decker
Subject: SIGSEGV Errors
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:03:50 +0100

Hello!  I'm a new poster to this list.

I'm a member of the Oolite forums at http://aegidian.org/bb, and have been
trying to help with the creation of a PC version.  It is being done from a
port of the Mac code to a linux version, and from there to GNUstep on Windows.
 The code is written in Objective-C. The common platform (or at least the one
the original porter and me are using) is Windows XP Home/Pro SP2.

It uses SDL libraries for music and graphics.

When we try to compile the game to run, it generates an "Application Error
(0xc0000005): the application failed to initialize" error message box from
Windows.

If the game is compiled using debug options, the error is revealled as:
"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00aa1fc0 in malloc ()"

This has been found exactly the same on at least four computers now (the
original porter's two computers, my home PC and my work PC).

We are using the same version of GNUstep and the associated libraries
(obtained via
ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/binaries/windows/base-1.10.1-gui-0.9.4/ )

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be extremely grateful!  I'm a
beginner with GNUstep and linux, although I have had some C and C++ exposure
many moons ago...  I'm afraid to say I'm a VB programmer normally!!