Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:18:09 -0700 (PDT)

Fabien

--- Fabien VALLON <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2005-07-05 00:03:41 +0200 Gregory John Casamento
> hi greg,
>
> * The selection/Inspector state should be fix :
> A lot of times when you select an object into a window or into the
> document Panel you
> don't have what it should be in the inspector.
> I think there is some NSNotifications are missing in the code ..

If you could give any specific examples of this occurring, I would appreciate
it.   Mainly the selection is managed by calling setSelectionFromEditor: on
GormDocument.   This sets the current selection and updates the inspector in
the GormInspectorsManager class.

> *It would be nice to "force the Inspector to switch"
> For example when you select a Classes + the Inspector is into
> connections => force to switch to Attributes

This is reasonable.  I believe that the inspector should switch to the "first
usable inspector" for that object like in your example.

> * Select the last image you added into Images view  ( document View )
> : it is usually what you want
>
> * Same for sounds

Also reasonable.

> * Set nextKeyView: into Inspector/DocumentPanel when needed
>
> * IB Sun doc say that Inspector can textfielfd can have delegate, I
> don't think Gorm have it.
> It is usefull when you modified your Window or button title to see the
> change "live"

"IB Sun doc say that Inspector can textfielfd can have delegate" ??

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Do you mean that the inspector can have
a delegate or that the textfield can have a delegate?  I will review the docs
to see if there is anything that was missed.

Also, please note that I have spent a lot of time this weekend adding the
IBViewDraggingDelegates implementation to Gorm.  This allows the user to drag
arbitrary pasteboard types to any view or control and have them handled in the
way specified by the delegate.  See the Data palette in Gorm/Palettes/4Data for
an example of this.

> * When you add Outlet / Action : it would be nice to be more usable
> from keyboard.
> For ex : hit 4 times on New Outlet => Edit the first one <TAB> Edit
> the second <TAB>
>
> * Same for NSForm(Cell) => Edit Field1<TAB>editable texfield of
> Field1<TAB>Edit Field2<TAB>editable textfield of Field2 ....

Others have also suggested this.

> * Create pallette by drag & drop like NeXT did ( it seems OSX drop it
> ... don't know why )

I need to do more research on this.

> Maybye a bug squashing week-end would be nice before the 1.0. ( I
> didn't look at / hack Gorm code since months but I think I can help
> for small issues )

I fully plan on it. :)

> Request : for 1.{1,2,3} :
> - translations ...
> - complete reference guide / help for Gorm ( It would be nice to have
> Help system  working )
>
> my 2 cents
> Thanks for your great job !
> Fabien

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.