Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/dev-libs/gsweb/GSWeb.framework GSWDynam...

From: David Wetzel
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/dev-libs/gsweb/GSWeb.framework GSWDynam...
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:18:08 +0200

David Ayers wrote:

> Even though this is the right thing to do for GSWDynamicURLString, I
> believe this is may be covering up a bug in the generic implementation
> of dataUsingEncoding:allowLossyConversion: of NSString.  .... and as I'm
> looking at the code to explain what the issue is, the bug jumps at me:
>
> The NSData was created with the freed (larger) buffer and not the one
> returned by the realloc for UTF8 conversions.
>
> Could you locally update -base and revert your fix just to test that
> this was the issue?  (Well I'm about 99.9998% sure that this is the
> issue but there may still be another issue hiding.)  But we do want to
> keep your implementation of GSWDynamicURLString.

Hi folks,

I tried GSWeb without my fix and the NEW -base. That worked too.
But as already discussed with David Ayers the bug should show up also on Linux.
Unfortunately, the libc on Linux does not complain on memory abuse like the one
on NetBSD.

Dave

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/