Re: GNUstep moving forward

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep moving forward
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:08:02 +0200

Quoting Gregory John Casamento <address@hidden>:
> Although we have Gorm and ProjectCenter, I believe we do need more to make
> GNUstep attractive to devs.   Some debugging (think MallocDebug) tools and
> other things might be nice in this regard.
> Also, a fully working ProjectCenter would be good as well.

Currently I'm working 100% on - an new IDE completely
from scratch. It currently still lacks many features, but what is done:

 - bundle extensible project type

 - allows for arbitrary file layout (through grouping files in abstract
`categories' (sort-of like directories, but not really on disk))

 - build error interpretation - errors are grouped in a table, double click on a
row and the error file opens, highlighting the error line.

 - fully functional code editor (except for colouring... but I'm working on it)
   + line/character indication and "Go To Line..."
   + autoindentation
   + customizable external command output piping
   + customizable tab to space conversion

Comments are welcome, though please still consider the code practically a
tech-demo, I would not have released it for another two weeks (currently
working on it about two weeks already) if this discussion would not have come

As to the other developer tools:

 - after I finish ProjectManager at least to some degree (or somebody takes over
for me, since a day only has 24 hours...) I'm back off to GNUstep Core Data
( and over there is an app called DataBuilder
which allows users to easily assemble data models for use with GSCoredata.

 - if there's interrest in an app like ObjectAlloc (a real-time object
allocation monitor) I can assemble it in a day or two. I already did it some
years ago (though never got to releasing it...), but the idea is still in my
head, so it should be a matter of a couple of moments.