Re: Image Framework without AppKit

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Image Framework without AppKit
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:43:12 +0000

On 2005-11-17 17:02:41 +0000 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

I've always wanted something like that. But I don't know where to put it (without duplicating code and dependancies). Maybe a bundle in gnustep-gui - so you would have to install gui, but it would not link to the library.

Starting from scratch, I would have put a simplified NSImage into Foundation, with NSString, NSData and other similar classes, and then had a category in AppKit that provided all of the GUI functionality of NSImage. I don't know if this could be done in GNUstep without breaking things, however.

The downside would be that you would be adding dependencies on graphics libraries (jpeg, gif, png etc) to the base library. I guess that's why Adam suggested a bundle in the gui library.