Re: Graceful termination again

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Graceful termination again
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:25:24 +0200

On 2006-01-23 12:54:01 +0200 Chris B. Vetter <address@hidden> wrote:

On 1/23/06, Roman Belenov <address@hidden> wrote:
I hacked a bit trying to implement logoff with graceful application
termination on GNUstep and got some questions:

The way I see it would be sending a
NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification when "Logout" (or similar) is
clicked to the Workspace / Desktop / Window Manager.

The Manager would then use -launchedApplications to send each
application a terminate message.

Problem is that there currently is no 'real' GNUstep-based XY Manager
that implements the above. This could be "fixed" if (for example)
GWorkspace could also act as a window manager, to replace the 'need'
of Window Maker.

Having GWorkspace acting also as a window manager would mean too much work :-)
But you are right when you say that a "logout" notification should come from
the window manager; at
there is a hacked WindowMaker that builds as a GNUstep application; wmaker.tar.gz
contains the "src" directory of WindowMaker 0.92 with a GNUmakefile and two
added files, WMApp.h and WMApp.m.
In WMApp.m there is the implementation of a very simple class that, in
-applicationWillFinishLaunching: adds the file descriptor returned by
XConnectionNumber() to the run loop and, in receivedEvent::::, sends the XEvent
to the normal WindowMaker function. Nothing else. But, being a real
application, could send notifications, communicate with other apps,
This is only an experiment but, if somebody would be interested in working at
it, I think that could become the GNUstep window manager. This is a
project that should not be very difficult to maintain; if, for the moment, we
want only to send some notifications, the work should consist only in writing a
better configure script and, when a new WindowMaker will be released, updating
our sources (that are only a little part of all the WindowMaker sources, I want
to remember).