Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:38:36 +0200

On 9. Mai 2006, at 06:17 Uhr, Andrew Ruder wrote:
I don't believe that this should be an option; this should be *STANDARD*
operation.

Maybe I'm wrong but people seem to consider FHS vs GNUstep hierarchy and either/or thing. It certainly isn't. FHS (or other system hierarchies) is just an *additional* fallback path hierarchy which should be searched after the GNUstep hierarchy (if its setup). Some additional information is required (like versioning information for resource/bundle lookup), but there should be some way to add this to NSBundle.

Thats how it works in OGo, if you did source GNUstep.sh, you have all the flexibility and features of the GNUstep hierarchy, if you don't it still works.
(though real world shows that _no one_ cares about the latter ...)
Its a bit like library combos vs flattened or _d, _dp library suffixes. I love the former, but of course its really overkill in 98% of the use cases. So is the GNUstep hierarchy. It doesn't provide any real-world gain.

Now how the packager decides how to package stuff is his own choice. Obviously most will choose to use FHS (well, even refuse GNUstep if it doesn't support FHS), but some (eg GNUstep centric) distris may not.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/