Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle

From: Hubert Chan
Subject: Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:11:13 -0400

On Wed, 10 May 2006 00:09:39 +0200, Helge Hess <address@hidden> said:

> On 9. Mai 2006, at 23:06 Uhr, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> One problem with getting general FHS compliance that I can see is
>> that the FHS doesn't have anything analogous to the Network or user
>> domains.

> Well, Network is _roughly_ like /opt and user domains are basically in
> ~ (~/bin, ~/lib if you wish to have that).

Well, the FHS doesn't define things like ~/bin, ~/lib, ~/share,
~/include, or /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/share, /opt/include.  In fact,
the FHS specifies that packages that get installed into /opt are
installed into /opt/<package> or /opt/<provider> directories.

(And I think that /opt, as defined in the FHS, is more like Local than
Network, but that's beside the point.)

I suspect that what may end up happening is that, if GNUstep Make gets
FHS compatibility bits put into it, it will have to install to FHS
locations like /usr/lib, /usr/share, /usr/include for the System and
Local domains, but stick with the traditional hierarchy for Network and
User domains.  Which is going to be really ugly.  But that's just a
guess.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)