Re: Cross-compiling & distributing Tools

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling & distributing Tools
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:37:20 +0200

Am 05.06.2006 um 10:06 schrieb Michael Hopkins:

2) Distributing tools without headaches - packaging everything as
statically-linked applications without the need for GNUstep directory
structure/shared libs/GNUstep.sh

The second big issue - and one that many people have asked about over the
years.

My current understanding is, the dynamic nature of the Obj-C language prohibits static linking of methods. This doesn't imply you wouldn't be able to create a single-file or at least a single-directory application.

We simply want to send Tools out as completely self-contained
applications that people can run from the command line on linux and win32 as if they were statically-linked C or C++ applications without any need for install scripts, extra directories, dynamic libraries/DLLs, sourcing shell scripts or changes to their startup sequence. It doesn't matter if the
Tools are bigger than ideal.

This is well understandable. However, neither Mac OS X nor GNUstep currently have a point-and-click solution in this area. I fear you have to start with "Hello World"-type apps and without makefiles to find out wether this is possible at all.

3) The need for GNUstep runtime e.g. gdomap, gdnc, Obj-C runtime?

I am not sure what is required here and whether it is started automatically.

Obviously, you need the Obj-C runtime. As this is a library, there's a chance to get it into your binary.

For the deamons, there were some efforts recently to handle their non- existence more gracefully. Since most GNUsteppers work inside a full- fledged GNUstep installation, they wouldn't even notice casual dependencies. At the same time, they are likely (can't speak for all GNUsteppers) to accept getting rid of strong dependencies or to use them if available, only.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/