Re: question to backend/gui guru...

From: xavier . glattard
Subject: Re: question to backend/gui guru...
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:29:53 +0200

Selon "Philippe C.D. Robert" <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> On 12.09.2006, at 11:29, address@hidden wrote:
> > Some of the classes i might use :
> > (picked up from
> > www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Gui/Reference/)
> >
> > NSColor*
> > NSCursor
> > NSEvent
> > NSFileWrapper
> > NSFont*, NSGlyph*
> > NSImage*
> > NSGraphicsContext
> > NSOpenGL*
> > NSResponder
> > NSScreen
> > NSSound
> >
> > At least NSResponder and NSEvent will be very useful.
>
> If you use SDL and its event handling then you don't need those
> classes as well as NSGraphicsContext , NSOpenGL* and friends. Also,
> how would you want to use NSFont* and NSGlyph* in an OpenGL context?
>
> I assume it is a lot easier to use SDL for all this stuff rather than
> tweaking gui to work w/ SDL. You are still able to use base, of
> course. I've done that myself.
>
> -Phil
> --
> Philippe C.D. Robert
> http://www.nice.ch/~phip

You're probably right. I've read some appkit source files : all theses classes
seem to be closely bound to each others... very hard to use one without using
some others, and so on. (is this a design choice?)(ie: many classes use some
NSPanel to display error message !)

I've changed my roadmap : I code my project step by step and i'll add some
gnustep classes only when i need them. At end if i really need a display
server... well... I'll work on it.

Thks

Xavier