Re: Plans for change....

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Plans for change....
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:47:26 -0800

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
All,

I've written up a short list of things that I want GNUstep to accomplish in the
year to come:

As Chief maintainer, it is up to me to determine the direction of the project.

Over
the past several years interest in GNUstep has steadily increased, but
not nearly by enough. In order to reach a wider audience, GNUstep needs
to do a number of things (not necessarily in priority order):

1)
Adopt a more modern look. This includes the look of the windows, the
color scheme and how the menus are rendered. It's okay to let that old
gui go, it's not going to kill you to do so. ;) Users like things to
look "good". This is entirely subjective. Personally, I think GNOME and
KDE are quite ugly under the best of circumstances. To this end, we
need to make integrated theming available in GNUstep and make it easy.

*does a happy-dance*

3)
Eliminate the need for GNUstep.sh, either by making GNUstep place it's
binaries and libraries in more "standard" places, or by providing an
installation procedure

*bursts into a jig*

5) Focus and concentrate on one and only one
set of display technologies per platform. We expend way too much time
and energy on maintaining mulitple backends (xlib, art and etc) when we
really don't have to. For Linux/BSD we have two functional backends and another
on the away for cairo. What's the point of this? In my opinion
we should complete the cairo backend and deprecate BOTH the xlib and
art backends. xlib is hopelessly outdated and libart isn't really
supported by anyone anymore.

That's right,let cairo do the heavy lifting for us. Way more people working on it than on GNUstep, so we get backends for "free" effectively, once we have good support for Cairo (not to mention nice hardware acceleration, where available)

6) Decide what we are. Yes,
that's right. Some people view GNUstep as a desktop, others view
GNUstep as a development environment. GNUstep needs to define itself as
one or the other. The website says it's a development environment, but
it has many aspects which fit the definition of a desktop environment.
In truth, I believe it should be both.

It's a floor wax, AND a dessert-topping!

(for non-Americans on the list, please excuse the semi-obscure mid-70s Saturday Night Live reference) and/or see http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ishimmer.phtml

Nice to finally see some benevolent dictatorship going on! I guess it's tmie to make some faux-Che Guevara shirts with Greg on them ;-) (inspired by http://www.threadless.com/submission/101790/che_bacca )

Regards,
Alex Perez