Re: Duplicate Member in NSMenuItemCell.h

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Duplicate Member in NSMenuItemCell.h
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:48:31 +0000

On 24 Jan 2007, at 16:36, Ted Howard wrote:

When I try to compile gui from the trunk, I get a duplicate member error in NSMenuItemCell.h on _backgroundColor.

Upon looking at the code, I noticed that NSButtonCell was recently modified to include a _backgroundColor member. Since NSMenuItemCell extends NSButtonCell, the _backgroundColor member of NSMenuItemCell should be removed.

I tried this on my machine, and it seems to work fine. I have attached a patch that does this.

Ted
<NSMenuItemCell-duplicate_backgroundColor.patch>

Thanks for the report ... I don't think your patch is safe though, because a quick look at the code shows that NSMenuItemCell uses the ivar to hold a (non-retained) object, while NSButtonCell retains it, so the two pieces of code would certainly interact badly if they are sharing the same ivar.

I'm not really familiar with either section of code though, so I'm not sure how this should be resolved (though my guess is that removing the ivar from NSMenuItemCell and rewriting the relevant code in that class is the way to go) and I hope someone else can fix this.

Perhaps a bigger issue is that my compiler (gcc-4.1.1) happily compiles the current code! Now that seems to me like a rather severe compiler bug. Does anyone know different?