Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:31:44 -0800

Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
Hm, I just read part of this discussion. Apparently pkg-config is a very popular tool for
finding dependencies etc.   Also it seems to be used
by plenty of libraries and people, although I never encountered
it in practice.  For me a .pc is probably a mystery.
So before forming an opinion on pkg-connfig integration with
gnustep-make I would like to read up a little on pkg-config.
However the only thing I quickly found was a wiki page:

http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/wiki

And beside a link to download section and a list of supportd platforms
there seems to be no documentation for pkg-config at all. Obviously that is because I do not look in the right place.

Another thing that caught my eye was the dependency on glib, I have had some bad experiences with glib on windows.

So next I tried to download pkg-config version 0.21 and compile it (on
MS Windows). Of course that failed because I hadn't installed glib.  So
I gave up.  (I tried once to get glib compiled on windows and it
wasn't a pleasant experience.)

Moral of the story, if someone want to add pkg-config, better make
it a smooth experience.   I for one don't want to spend a lot of time
installing another tool with intricate dependencies just to be able
to compile my own application.

I think we're missing the point of pkg-config here. pkgconfig is useless under Window. It's not designed to work under windows. Windows has its own library lookup mechanisms. They should be used. pkgconfig simply should not be used under windows, nor should gnustep.conf.

Wim Oudshoorn.