Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:29:49 +1100

Hi

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:51:39 -0800, "Alex Perez" <address@hidden>
said:
> > Lastly, on a slightly unrelated note, the GNU dependencies (zlib,
> > libpng, libjpeg, etc) that are needed to compile GNUstep on Windows can
> > be automated using an installer from the gnuwin32.sf.net project which
> > downloads most of the precompiled GNU environment. I was thinking that
> > it may be possible to take the scripts given there, combine them with
> > scripts for installing mingw/msys and create an installable mingw
> > environment on Windows that is ready to compile source code within.
>
> Yes, that would be a great thing to have available to the community :)
> I've thought about doing exactly this many times myself, but
> unfortunately do not have the time. Are you volunteering? If not, would
> anyone else like to volunteer? If we don't get any responses, perhaps it
> would be wise to trim this particular subthread down and forward it to
> gnustep-discuss to see if there are any willing volunteers.

Whilst I would love to volunteer to do this I'm really pressed for time
at the moment, and when university resumes I will be even more pressed
for time, so much so that I am unable to do any serious work on GNUstep.
Please feel free to forward the idea to the gnustep-discuss list and see
if anyone's up for it. From what I can work out, it could be done with a
series of batch files and an installer programme. The gnuwin32 project
actually includes some utilities like sed, grep and wget in its
installer to locate and download all the latest versions of the
binaries. MINGW currently uses a binary installer which is likely to be
a InstallShield style install-programme builder kind of thing.

Regards
Chris
--
  Christopher Armstrong
  carmstrong ^^AT^ fastmail dOT com /Dot/ au