Re: auto-gpbs-restart (was: Re: Ivar layout change)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: auto-gpbs-restart (was: Re: Ivar layout change)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:29:19 +0100

On 25 Mar 2007, at 22:40, Alex Perez wrote:

Fred Kiefer wrote:
I just moved a bunch of ivars from NSResponder to NSView. They never
should have been there in the first place, but now this is a big change,
as it requires that you recompile all of GNUstep and all your
applications. And don't forget to kill your gpbs daemon, I did :-)

As this seems to be a *constant* issue which recurs consistently on the mailing list, I'd like to propose an idea, and see if anyone has any legitimate opposition to its implementation...

If possible, why not make GPBS restart if its version/checksum/ something has changed. This seems the logical user-friendly thing to do. Obviously, the mechanism by which it would be checked would need to be fast, but perhaps this can be done.

This idea isn't fully-fleshed out, it's just an off-the cuff one, so please feel free to tear it to shreds :)

There is already a partial solution to this one in trunk ... in that, if gpbs (or gdnc) is started automatically then it should shut itsself down automatically when there are no more processes using it. So if you close down all the apps when you update software, then gpbs should automatically close down too.

Unfortunately this is not completely reliable ... on windows gpbs can't currently tell when nothing is using it any more (unless using a tcp/ip connection). That's because windows doesn't have unix- domain sockets, and the windows alternative used for local/private connections does not (as far as I've been able to find) provide a mechanism to tell when the remote end has exited. Perhaps some sort of keepalive could be implemented?

Now, the reason I mention that is that it would presumably be a bad idea to restart automatically if some processes are using gpbs or gdnc ... you would want to wait for connected processes to close down and then restart. Monitoring the binary top see if it changes ought to be simple, but deciding when it's safe to restart might be trickier.