RE: Developer Documentation Info

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Developer Documentation Info
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:53:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Marco,

1. the info files are installed in the path that you decide when you choose the
filesystem layout when you configure gnustep-make. ;-)

Check the filesystem layouts inside core/make/FilesystemLayouts/ (you are
looking
for the keys 'GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DOC_INFO', 'GNUSTEP_LOCAL_DOC_INFO', etc).  As you
see
every layout installs the info files in a different place. :-)

If you're unhappy with the standard filesystem layouts, you can create your
own! :-)

Eg, you can take the 'gnustep' one, edit the line GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DOC_INFO
/ GNUSTEP_LOCAL_DOC_INFO / etc to install your System/Local/etc info files
somewhere else.  Then rename it to 'marco' or something like that, and configure
gnustep-make with ./configure --with-layout=marco and you're done. :-)

2. If you're using the standard GNUstep filesystem layout and you want the info
files installed into /System/Library/Documentation/info to appear in your
info/emacs readers, you should add these paths to INFOPATH.  If you source
GNUstep.sh,
that will do it for you :-)

3. Check what is done when you install the info files by doing

 make install messages=yes

if you find the commands are unsatisfactory, we can change them.  The commands
arrive
from core/make/Instance/Documentation/texi.make.  Feel free to experiment with
changing
them and submit a patch! :-)

Yes, it would be very good to organize the gnustep info files in some nice way
so you
can browse them nicely inside Emacs.  Feel free to suggest how to do that -
I'll try to
help you make the appropriate changes to gnustep-make to support your solution.

4. I'm not sure why the documentation is not installed automatically.  It might
be
because it's not built automatically ?  The texinfo documentation (eg, in
gnustep-make)
requires texinfo to generate, and some people don't have it installed, which is
why
it's not always regenerated.  One solution might be to include pre-generated
documentation
with all packages ?  I think gnustep-make partially does this, but we could
extend it.

Thanks