Ivars in GUI classes

From: Chris Farber
Subject: Ivars in GUI classes
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:41:45 -0400

Hello everyone,

I'm beginning to add bindings to the classes listed here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ CocoaBindingsRef/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000189i

In order to add a binding, a few pieces of information have to be kept track of, such as the value transformer, bound object and key path, and other options. One way to do this would be to add instance variables to the classes, but I am not sure if there would be any negative consequences of this. If you look at the headers on Mac OS X, it appears this is not the route Apple took. Alternatively I could put these in global map tables or dictionaries and use locks to make it thread-safe, but this would be a lot more work (and potentially slower?).

I'd appreciate any advice on which route to take.

Thanks,
Chris Farber