Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

Fred,

The previous email wasn't meant to address anything outside of how ObjC 2.0
directly impacts GNUstep.  Nor was it meant to cast an optimistic or, indeed,
pessimistic slant on things.   Neither is this one, for that matter.  That
being said, you and I have discussed the these very issues last time we spoke.
   We need to figure out how to solve them.

The development applications and libraries in GNUstep are complete for the most
part.   All of the important classes are there and, with Gorm and Project
Center, all of the important functionality is there.   I think that part of
what we're seeing is due to that.   The perception is that there is not much
left to do on the core libraries themselves.

Here are the challenges that I see (in order of priority):
++++
1) Applications... We need a comprehensive suite of applications for GNUstep.
Something that, when someone uses them they have an integrated experience.   We
currently don't have that.

2) GUI... Apologies to anyone who's in love with the old interface and you know
who you are, it's extremely dated.   Etoile is helping with that, but many
people, when they try GNUstep.. they try the core project and they see the old
NeXTSTEP-ish GUI.   This GUI is not as attractive as some of the current GUIs
out there.   We need to make it so.   A pretty gui can be very compelling to
both users AND developers.

3) Repository...  I think we need to simplify a number of things with respect
the repository.  It is currently hard for people to check GNUstep out because
of the structure it was given in SVN.  You can't simply follow the instructions
on the GNA website to make it work but you need to checking from "devmodules."
 We should be able to put something into the repository which will let people
check out in a more "normal" fashion.

4) Thinking differently...  In my experience GNUstep is often perceived as
doing things "differently" or "weirdly" because we don't follow the current
"standards".  Usually, these standards are set by people who are using C++ or C
based libraries which are no where near as dynamic as what GNUstep has to
offer.   Honestly, call me an idealist, byt I think that the way we do things
is often better both in execution and design.   From how our make system works
to Gorm to how the backend works.  GNUstep is a better system than GNOME or KDE
in it's design.   However.. all of that being said... when we do things
differently, it might be useful for us to determine if there is a way to bridge
the gap.

We've already taken steps towards addressing #4 earlier this way with Nicola's
changes with gnustep-make-2.0 (for which kudos are long overdue... he did an
excellent job.. thank you Nicola) since they allow for installing GNUstep in
different layouts... including one that is FHS compliant, but we need more.

Also... we should emphasize *publically* what we've done more than we do.  In
the past two years we have been ahead of Apple twice or more in a number of
things:

1) 64 bit support on Intel.  GNUstep had this way before Apple did!
2) AppKit on openmoko -- while the iPhone debuts with a pitiful API... we have
a full AppKit available!
3) Support for multiple model formats!  last I checked Apple only supports .nib
files for Cocoa/Carbon (and the second is being dropped).

These are not "optimism" but statements of fact.   It's too late to say
anything about the first one, but it's certainly not too late to talk about 2
and 3.

We have a lot of challenges ahead of us.

Please tell me your thoughts on these points.

Later, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento -- OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer