gnustep on windows

From: Paul Fox
Subject: gnustep on windows
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:23:11 -0500

Currently, I am, for various reasons, tied to Windows for most of the time. I also think GNUstep looks as if it would make a good cross-platform development library (more elegant than QT, and without all the restrictions.) However, in the course of examining and attempting to build GNUstep for Windows, I've discovered that Cairo graphics for GNUstep under Windows are unimplemented. I'm interested in correcting that, and, from a cursory glance, it doesn't look tremendously difficult, but I haven't spent a lot of time yet tracking down all the bits of X dependent code, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how deep this dependency runs.

When I have more time (who knows when that will be!) I will take a deeper look and try to figure out everything that needs to be done to enable the Cairo backend on Windows.

On a side note, I've heard that there are plans for a theming API, but I've had some difficulty finding any details. Where could I find out about that?