Re: gnustep on windows

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: gnustep on windows
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:19:46 -0500

There shouldn't be any X dependencies in the cairo backend code apart
from the X surfaces of course. You should be able to provide your own MS
Windows surface and use that. This gets a bit harder on the make file
level, here our config scripts currently only support the cairo backend
for X11.
There is one other problem I see, although freetype is available for
Windows you will most likely want to use native font support. For this
you will need to implement your own classes or port the ones from the
the winlib backend.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to use cairo on Windows and not the
native window interface (or one based on GDI+)?

Why Cairo? Mainly because it gives me a fairly nice graphics library that's
cross-platform. For fancy graphics, Cairo gives a consistent appearance across
platforms, allows me to ignore platform when coding for the most part, and is
much nicer looking than GDI. I'm really still exploring what's possible here,
and it appears that Cairo is the most potentially capable backend.

Yeah, the config scripts will be a bother if I do this, especially given that I have very little knowledge or experience with sh scripting or the GNU Build System (such experience as I have makes me want a better build system.)
There already is some limited theming available in GNUstep. You find the
API and the code for it in gui/Source/GSTheme.m.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Paul