Re: gnustep on windows

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: gnustep on windows
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:18:35 -0500

When programming with GNUstep you will be working against the GNUstep
drawing API, not cairo or GDI. It is true that the implementation of
this API for cairo is more complete, but even that may be changed.

Oh, I know, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to maintain multiple backends when one will serve. Also GDI vector drawing looks ugly and Cairo looks nice... so I'd prefer to use Cairo. That way, my results should be pretty much the same on Windows and Linux.
You might be talking about [Camaelon][1] (spelling is important).

I have read a bit about Camaelon, but my understanding is that it's a theming engine rather than an API. I also have the impression that it's a bit slow because it's pixmap-based. I was looking at the Narcissus theme engine, but the developer made the comment that his patch to NSScroller to enable theming of the scroller was rejected because it didn't conform to the theming API that had been planned. I haven't really been able to find out much about this API, however.