Re: GSOC: desktop integration

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GSOC: desktop integration
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:05:58 +0100

Hubert Chathi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at applying for Google's SOC this year.  I'm interested in
> looking at GNU/Linux desktop integration issues.  So I'd like to look
> at:
> - the window focusing issues, and making GNUstep work well in all window
>   managers
> - looking at which freedesktop.org standards it would make sense for
>   GNUstep to implement
> - looking at providing bindings/interfaces for some freedesktop.org
>   software (e.g. dbus is mentioned on the wiki)
> - although not exactly desktop-integration work, I could also look at
>   bitmap image reading/writing support
>
> Does this sound like a worthwhile project?  What scope would be
> reasonable for GSOC?  Are there other things I should be looking at?

All of these are great tasks that will improve the usability of GNUstep
a lot. I would like to mentor you on them. I already have some code for
dbus you could start on...
Perhaps you should leave out the last item, as it does not quite fit the
list and perhaps somebody else could take up that task, it really is needed.

Cheers,
Fred