Re: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:43:03 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Hubert Chathi <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm not sure what needs to be clarified.  The compatibility table in
the GPL FAQ, written by the FSF, says that you can't link a GPLv2'd
application against a LGPLv3'd library, which is exactly the case we
have.  It seems that the FSF has already clarified the issue for us.

When I mentioned that I guess I should have been a little more clear.  GNUstep needs to find what the way forward is!  Is an exception to the LGPLv3 the correct solution?  Is it even possible?  Will it help? Etc...

At this point the problem has been identified, and there's actually been an example of why some libraries have not yet moved to version 3 of the (L)GPL.  Now the question is, what are we going to do?

Stefan