Re: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:31:44 +0200

Hubert Chathi wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:16:48 -0500 "Stefan Bidigaray"
<address@hidden> wrote:

I think we aren't going to get anywhere this way!  I mentioned it on a
previous e-mail, the issue needs to be escalated to and clarified by
the FSF.  They designed the licenses and know more than anyone else
what are the restrictions.

I'm not sure what needs to be clarified.  The compatibility table in
the GPL FAQ, written by the FSF, says that you can't link a GPLv2'd
application against a LGPLv3'd library, which is exactly the case we
have.  It seems that the FSF has already clarified the issue for us.

Yes, you are right this table Stefan send a link to (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility) makes it quite clear. Our case it the one in the bottom left corner. We either need to get all the applications to upgrade their license or find a clause to be put into the GNUstep libraries to give a special exception when linked with GPLv2 applications.