Threads and GL

From: Justin Kendrick
Subject: Threads and GL
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 18:48:21 -0700

I'm trying to use a background thread to draw into a view using opengl.  Doing anything GL-related in a secondary thread segfaults, however.  Poking around AppKit and the X11 backend, I note that GSCurrentServer() is returning NULL on every thread except the main one.  I know that secondary threads are not supposed to do any drawing, but this prevents me from even making a context with shared state, drawing into a PBO, and then blitting that into the view in the main thread.

Any suggestions?