RE: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows

From: Matthew Jimenez
Subject: RE: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:00:48 -0500

Roland Schwingel  wrote:
> Hi...
>
> As some might know, we are using GNUstep base intensively on windows.
> We are currently in the phase of porting our code to 64bit. So GNUstep
> base
> must also run in 64 bit on windows. After some studying of the code
> (GNUstep base 1.16.3)
> we already have seen a bunch of areas where changes have to be made
> also
> in core
> areas...
>
> So we want to contribute back all needed patches to this list in
> different waves.
> As we are in the early starting phase doing this, I yet cannot tell the
> exact
> schedule but it will definitely happen soon (within in the next weeks).
>
> As we do not use anything else than GNUstep base and GNUstep objc we
> can
> only supply patches for these parts.
>
> So... Some might ask how we want to do that, using which compiler?
> Since quite a while a colleague of mine is doing the gcc 4.3 (and up)
> port of
> gcc and binutils. The toolchain is mostly finished and is publically
> available for a while now. All changes/extensions he made are
> already contributed back upstream to gcc/binutils and other assorted
> code/projects.
>
> If someone else also wants to work on porting GNUstep to 64bit windows,
> we have set up
> a sourceforge project for the toolchain
> (http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/) where it can
> be downloaded. This toolchain supports both 32bit and 64bit windows and
> is already in use
> by other projects for a while now eg. VLC, ffmpeg, mediaplayer classic,
> mozilla, reactos, wine...
>
> Is there some preference on your side, how we should organize our
> patches and the
> communication with you, as the changes might cover a wider range of
> code ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> i.A. Roland Schwingel

Definitely interesting. I've been using a rather old GNUstep base and have been
needing a reason to start upgrading. 64-bit might be a good one :-)
As far as mingw goes, I've been holding my breath for a while now for gcc 4.4,
which AFAICT should have many windows improvement
(http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/WindowsGCCImprovementsGSoC2008), but I've no idea how
long it will take for that to be released.
I'm not a GNUstep dev, so maybe others may have some more useful input.

-Matthew Jimenez

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state
law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and
arrange for the return or destruction of these documents. You may notify the
sender via email (address@hidden) or via phone (402.398.2200).