GNUstep base version number

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: GNUstep base version number
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:03:12 +0100

Perhaps that sentence was buried down to low in my last mail:

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Looks like somebody downgraded GNUstep base from 1.17 to 1.15.4. Was
> this done on purpose?

This unexpected release number change is causing problems to everbody
compiling GNUstep from SVN trunk. Of course it is always best to
recompile everything at once, but at least somebody could have send out
a warning that this was needed.

Perhaps we really should redefine the release number handling in
GNUstep. As I see it, we did not use release number according to our
definition on the wiki for the last releases. There was no unstable
release for gui/back and for base we just used an unstable release
number 1.15 and treated it as a stable one, while bumping up the release
number for the next unstable release to 1.17, but never doing the 1.16
stable and now even skipping the 1.17 release.

Non of this is very problematic, it just is utterly confusing and should
be clarified in the wiki. And perhaps we can do better than that in the
future.

Fred

PS: What about doing the gui release? That way we can force everybody to
recompile :-) And I would like to see Wolfgang's great patches out and
getting used.