Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27911 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSNibLoa

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27911 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSNibLoading.m Source/NSDrawer.m
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:26:37 +0100

Hi,

> 1. duplication of code for handling menu rearrangement.
> I think I wrote the original code for this for switching between
> vertical and horizontal menus, but that' so long ago I don't remember
> any detail.  It sounds like Greg wrote different code to do a similar
> job at the point when a nib is unarchived.  I guess everyone things
> there should be only one version.

I understand it that way too. Everyone things his one is the most
important... however we have two different job which share a common problem:
- What to do with a NIB file from the mac? It has vertical menus.
- How to draw mac-style menus having a GORM file?
and, I may add,
- independently if we load a NIB or a GORM, how do we display
Windows-style menus?

 among this, we have a problem with rearrangement:
We can choose to do a certain kind of conversion when loading a NIB
files and greg seems to want to minimize this.
On the other hand, we definitively need to do some conversion when
displaying horizontal menus with mac style! And even more probably with
Windows-style.

So I guess the approach "no conversion at all" is not possible, sorry
Gregory.

We also see that some of this conversion is the inverse transformation:
E.g.: if I load a mac-NIB and then have mac-style menus, I expect to
have it look properly, even if it went through two conversions!

> 2. Now that menus support spacer items, there is debate about how to
> handle them ... I'm sure the original rearrangment code predates
> spacers, so it's not surprising if it doesn't do a good job with them.

Yes. Personally, I changed my idea to what I discussed with Gregory a
while ago: we shouldn't wipe out spacer items, instead we should support
them even in GORM files. Why? If we are displaying horizontal menus with
a style different than the NeXT style, we could need them.

The most extreme scenario: we are writing an application to be used
under Windows and we have a perfectly working Windows-theme that
emulates menus very well: Separator items are needed then.

Riccardo