Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:37:36 -0600

On Mar 10, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Xavier Glattard wrote:

I don't know what are the requirements for mentors, but I would be glad to help and take care of one small project :)

FYI, some info on Google's SoC:

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html

Being a mentor involves working with a student, answering questions, making sure they are making progress and finishing their project. It can take 5 hours or more per week depending on how much you put into it, but by far the most important process is vetting the student BEFORE they begin to make sure they really know what they are getting in to and that they can do the work. It helps to live close to the student (in the same country or speak the same language). We always get a lot of European students. The unfortunate part is that Google bases their calendar on the US school schedule which is often different from European schedules.

The process works like this:

- You submit ideas for projects
- Students look over them and decide if they want to do them or propose their own ideas
- You rank the students and their ideas by how good you think they are.
- Google gives you a set number of students they will fund. The top ranking students then get funded.

A big factor in how many students google gives us is the number of students who apply to work with us, so the more ideas and more advertisement we get, the better chance to get more students and more work done.