Re: GNUstep base almost builds with clang

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep base almost builds with clang
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:11:21 +0100

On 1 Apr 2009, at 00:56, Pete French wrote:

My platform (FreeBSD/amd64) supports ffcall but not libffi (or
this was the case last time I compiled GNUstep about a month ago)
so please don't drop support :-)

The FreeBSD port for libffi is not marked as broken on amd64. I'd be very surprised if libffi worked on x86-64 Linux but not FreeBSD, since they use exactly the same calling convention on this architecture (Linux uses PCC-compatible on-stack small-structure returns while FreeBSD returns them in register, and a few other minor differences on i386, but in 64-bit mode they are the same).

Would it be possible for you to check whether GNUstep works with libffi? On FreeBSD/i386, it defaults to using ffcall, but works better with libffi (i.e. doesn't randomly corrupt the stack when you pass NSInvocations between threads). You probably need to explicitly specify /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib as ffi lib/include directories in configure.

David