Sound in GNUstep

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Sound in GNUstep
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:13:23 -0500

I recently tried to play some sound using NSSound in GNUstep and was fairly unsuccessful.  I tried GNUstep from SVN and Debian packages, neither worked.  I tried disecting gnustep_sndd but I just don't grasp portaudio enough to know what is going on.

Anyway, I tried quite a few things and in the process ended up writing some code for NSSound to use OpenAL directly instead of gnustep_sndd (and portaudio).  It works pretty well, despite the fact of being pretty sloppy.  I was wondering if the GNUstep devs would be interested in the code?  Like I mentioned, it's OpenAL (available in pretty much every platform) and even though it's sloppy right now it would take much to clean it up (at least I don't think so, but I would need some help/input).  OpenAL also has quite a bit of functionality useful to bring NSSound up to par with OS X 10.5's API (seeking and what not).

I also rewrote the sound loading method to use libsndfile instead of libaudiofile... as of version 1.19 sndfile support everything OS X 10.5 supports (minus MP3) + Vorbis and FLAC.  Is there interest in that?  Cause that's pretty much done, and not sloppy.

Just let me know if there's any interest in this stuff?

Stefan