Re: NSSound

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: NSSound
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:37:39 +0200

Stefan Bidigaray a écrit :
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Xavier Glattard <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Just an idea : http://jackaudio.org/

Before settling on OpenAL I took a look at all the popular sound servers out there (even thought about using PulseAudio). I can't really remember why I didn't pick it, but I'll look at it again. I did a quick walk through the API and couldn't see anything that jumped at me as to why OpenAL and not JACK. Stefan

I just have a quick look on OpenAL: it's is a powerful API, dedicated to 3D audio and gaming. The project is mostly supported by Creative.

Jack API is quite simple: it only routes audio (and MIDI) streams between applications (and/or audio hardware!) with only one format for audio data. It provides tools to measure and reduce latency and handles synchronization between apps (very important for serious real-time audio applications). It's very similar to CoreAudio.

IMHO OpenAL is a end-user-oriented API, while Jack is more like a backend.