Re: Getting reviews and submitting patches

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Getting reviews and submitting patches
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:19:35 +0100

On 14 Jun 2009, at 17:20, Dave MacLachlan wrote:

Sorry for the newbie question, but I want to make sure I get it right ;-)

I've got a couple of patches that I'd like to submit to gnustep- base. Google has signed off on having them submitted to the project, so the legal steps are taken care of already.

Have you filed a copyright assignment form with the FSF? As a GNU project, contributors to GNUstep are required to do this. The FSF still owes me $1 from mine though...

a) Is there a coding standard for gnustep somewhere that I missed? Right now I'm guessing no.

GNUstep is a GNU project, so the GNU coding styles apply. These are widely ignored in GNUstep, however, because they are absolutely atrocious (worse than Google's, but not quite as bad as LLVM's). They were originally created as a 'compromise' between the BSD and AT&T coding conventions, and managed to combine the worst aspects of both.

b) How do people normally handle reviews?

Post patches to the list, and if no one reviews / commits them, complain until they do (well, that's how I do it...). As far as I know, there is no formal code review system (yet...).

c) Anything else I should know before diving into the world of submitting patches?

Nothing springs to mind. The first step is doing the copyright assignment.

David