Re: NSSound Code Review

From: SPUeNTRUP - Kai Henningsen
Subject: Re: NSSound Code Review
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:43:34 +0200

Hallo David,

Am Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:12:05 +0100
schrieb David Chisnall <address@hidden>:

> I didn't propose optimisations here.  When I rewrote the NSLock
> classes to use pthreads, I halved the amount of code and added an
> implementation of NSCondition.  To me, less code which does more is
> more maintainable.
>
> The fact that, because it isn't using the buggy and largely-
> unmaintained abstraction layer in libobjc is an added bonus.  The code
> in libobjc uses recursive mutexes.  It does not create or destroy
> threads, and it does not use condition variables.  This means that the
> functions for doing any of these things in libobjc are not tested by
> libobjc and in some cases are just stub implementations which always
> return NULL.  Depending on these, rather than well-tested pthread
> implementations does not make sense.

This reminds me that I have a patch somewhere which fixes this problem.
(Essentially, by copying from ... well I forget, but I'm sure I can
find out ... a variant of this particular threading package that *does*
implement the missing routines, anyway).

Now, I don't know how well-tested this currently is, but I'm pretty
certain that modern gcc relies on these routines for both Java and OMP
(both of which I recall having problems on Windows which might well be
related), not only for libobjc, so there is certainly hope that bugs in
there will actually be found.

I need to find some round tuits and submit that patch ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Münster /
with kind regards - Kai Henningsen

--
SPUeNTRUP Software