Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:50:48 +0100

On 8 Oct 2009, at 10:32, David Chisnall wrote:

On 8 Oct 2009, at 07:29, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

GlobalDefaults.plist does that.

Two questions then:

- Is this actually documented anywhere? I see a vague reference to it in NSUserDefaults, but packagers are absolutely not going to read API docs (and should not be expected to.

With the documentation for GNUstep.conf in the main base library documentation (I put a link in an earlier email). I think you have to be realistic ... a packager *does* have to read some documentation in order to package a big system like GNUstep properly. It would undoubtedly be good to have some packager-specific documentation, but obviously the target readership is a very small group ....

- How does this allow a packager to install and remove defaults as part of package installation / uninstallation? Presumably you can use plmerge to install them (again, is this documented anywhere?), but how do you uninstall them?

This is a text property list ... a packager would manage it in exactly the same way as any other text file they install/uninstall with their packaging system. Probably something as simple as 'rm -rf /etc/GNUstep' when you are removing GNUstep from your system.