Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:55:04 +0000

On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:49, address@hidden wrote:

This allows to display any menu (set via setMenu:) as the popup menu of the view. It is up to the application programmer to use or ignore this
feature.

Thanks for the explanation. I supposed so.
So the issue is rather the default behavior;
I would suggest rather do nothing on right mouse click,
since that is how things work in all OSes I know of.
(And the app menu is visible all the time anyway...)

This might make sense if you are in using the Windows or Mac interface styles, but I don't really like it. Having the main menu a single click away without having to move the mouse is a good design from the point of view of usability. A menu that appears where the mouse is beats both a menu attached to the window and a menu attached to the screen in Fitts' Law terms.

The difference on OS X is that most views tend to have some kind of context menu, while most in GNUstep apps don't.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA