Re: includes/imports in gui.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: includes/imports in gui.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:35:56 +0000

It has a small effect on how we should organize headers in base too:

I want to clearly separate out non-OSX stuff from OSX stuff, so that our extensions would all be available to OSX users in the base- additions library.

I was hoping to just have all the extensions headers collection in Additions.h and have Additions.h included in Foundation.h for backward compatibility ... so existing Apps which include foundation.h and expect to use our extensions would continue to be able to do so.

But ... if people aren't going to want to include Foundation.h (because it's slow), perhaps the individual headers should be made to import the extensions (eg NSString.h would import GNUstepBase/NSString+GNUstepbase.h unless NO_GNUSTEP is defined).

Alternatively, perhaps we need to update all projects to explicitly include the headers for the extensions (irritating work to do)... I'm not sure what to do here.

I personally vote for the option where NSString.h would import GNUstepBase/NSString+GNUstepbase.h (unless NO_GNUSTEP). It provides the best
backwards-compatibility solution.

Just out of curiosity, in a normal build, would Additions be built before or after gnustep-base ? Can it be built in parallel ?

Thanks