Re: sync.m

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: sync.m
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:44:49 +0000

On 28 Feb 2010, at 15:06, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> Just one thing here... if conforming to the coding standards is going
> to be a point of contention, then I don't think we need to be very
> strict on them, at least not until after the code is completed and
> stabilized.
>
> GC
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 27 Feb 2010, at 18:39, David Chisnall wrote:
>>
>>> I've now fixed this case in libobjc2.  Unfortunately, someone decided to
>>> 'helpfully' reindent the version of ObjectiveC2.framework in GNUstep, which
>>> means that diffs from libobjc2 no longer cleanly apply in ObjectiveC2 (nor
>>> to diffs against the original version in Étoilé svn), so whoever did that
>>> gets to volunteer to back-port the changes.
>>
>> Guess we should think about getting libobjc2 to conform to the coding
>> standards soon.  At least that's easier because it's largely C code rather
>> than ObjC, and the 'indent' program will largely do it for us.

Well, that's why I didn't mention it until now (hopefully the code is getting
stable ... it mostly seems to work).  It makes me wonder though, if it would be
worth the effort of making the indent program work for objective-c (I've always
liked the idea of just automatically converting things to a common style with
indent when a file is committed but people being able to regenerate their
preferred style with indent on checkout ... it really should be possible).

Actually, David's original comment is a bit wide of the mark anyway ... changes
to the ObjectiveC2 code are rather more than just reindentation as it needed a
bug fix or two and quite a few changes to fix c99isms which prevented it
building on older systems (and the whole point of a compatibility library is to
allow older systems, specifically older versions of the runtime, to work
without having to have masses of #ifdef's in the code).

If we want to keep ObjectiveC2 and libobc2 sufficiently in sync to allow
patches from one to be applied to the other, we will need to restructure quite
a bit of the libobjc2 code to  avoid c99 features where possible, and David put
a comment to Riccardo in libobjc2 specifically asking him not to do that (since
the new library will only work on more modern systems), so unless David wants
to reconsider, such synchronisation is impossible anyway :-(