Re: [Etoile-discuss] Best beginning ObjC book?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Etoile-discuss] Best beginning ObjC book?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:57:17 +0100

Am 02.03.2010 21:15, schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 2 Mar 2010, at 19:09, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>
>> Get yourself comfortable wit Objective-C first. But then David's
>> book is a great way to learn about GNUstep as well as Cocoa. The
>> only problem you will find are the examples. David wrote them on
>> Apple and forgot to convert the NIB files into something GNUstep is
>> able to read.
>
> Actually, I thought including only xib files might motivate Gregory
> to implement xib reading support in GNUstep ;-)
>
>> He is also using properties a lot and gcc currently wont support
>> them.
>
> They work fine with clang and the latest GNUstep svn.
>
>> But the later is an easy rewrite, whereas for the former you will
>> need InterfaceBuilder to store the NIB files in the old NIB
>> format.
>
> Or you can create a XIB loader as your first GNUstep contribution...
>
> The XIB format is very similar to an XML property list.  It looks
> like the output from some NSArchiver subclass.  It should be easier
> to implement than the nib parser, but no one has had the time or
> inclination to do it yet.
>
> This is probably quite important, because I've just noticed that the
> release notes for the latest IB say they can no longer save in nib
> 2.x format which, as I recall, is the format that GNUstep
> understands...

I just started a loader for the XIB format. Seems to load the one test
file I tried pretty well, but wont do anything useful with the loaded
data :-)

It would surely help when somebody with more knowledge on NIB loading
could have a look at that code.
Greg, have you got the time for that?

Cheers
Fred