Nib loading

From: Tim Schmielau
Subject: Nib loading
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:14:33 +0100

I've got an application that I develop both under Cocoa and GNUstep. Since
converting the Cocoa .nib to a .gorm file didn't seem to work for more complex
cases, I've maintained separate .nib and .gorm file for quite a while.

With the recent activities, I thought it's a good time to retry whether I can
directly use the Cocoa .nib file under GNUstep. Good news is, that I almost can!
Thanks for the work done on this.

The main issue I ran into was with an NSTableView. The .nib file contains an
empty value for the NSDataSource key, as the IBConnection gets established
separately. Now since the key is there (but empty), the [aDecoder
containsValueForKey: @"NSDataSource"] check in [NSTableView initWithCoder:]
gets fooled and setDataSource: is apparently called with a nil datasource.
This raises an exception as the nil object does not respond to
numberOfRowsInTableView: .

If I comment out the cal to setDataSource: in [NSTableView initWithCoder:],
everything works fine (apart from some minor graphical glitches that I still
need to identify). Of course, that's not a valid fix, just meant as an
indication of what is happening. I'm completely new to the GNUstep internals,
so apologies if my analysis is not correct.

On a side note, I am excited that it's apparently planned to allow for direct
deployment of .xib files! In my case, it does not yet work though for reasons
that seem similar to the above issue. I will try to identify them once the
.nib loading works for me.

Thanks for the great work!
Tim