Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?

From: Jonathan Wolf
Subject: Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:18:00 -0600

Hello Riccardo,

I apologize if any of my comments were taken in a bad manner - I fully
admit to some ignorance to the way GNUstep works, and have found the
conversations on the dev list very insightful and helpful. =)

> What point do you have in an .app "bundle" if you do not have the GUI app
> itself and if you want GNUstep to be a ".so"?

The idea is to try and "mimic" the native layout of each target
platform (Windows, Linux, and Mac) while maintaining the ObjC runtime.
App bundles will be appropriate for Mac, where as stand alone
executables (and any relevant data) would be appropriate for Win/Nix.
The idea is to try and keep the nature of the GNUstep layout (with the
various folder hierarchy) restricted as much as possible. I know I
will probably get some fire for this, but again, the idea is to use
ObjC for all three systems and use GNUstep for the Windows and Linux
side (while keeping with Apple's stuff on the Mac side).

> I think you underestimate the portability and compactness of "Foundation"
> which is what you are looking for.

Oh not at all - I wasn't looking for compactness in terms of program
size, but rather number of dependencies and number of file system
hierarchy modifications.

For instance, when on Mac, one has a user Library folder and program
specific Documents folder and the likes. While that is great for Mac,
this is not the way my team would like to mimic the hierarchy in a
Linux or Windows environment (keeping to a /usr/local/share in nix, or
my documents in win - just for instance). The data files relevant to
storing user preferences, etc., will still be maintained in an XML,
but that will be (on Win/Nix) local to the program directory. This is
more just an issue of trying to, again, mimic a native application to
said system, keeping the "mess" to an absolute minimal, and looking
like a native built application (with only Mac having the App bundle).

Sorry if that's not the best way of explaining it or if that's not how
GNUstep was set up to "work". :p

Nonetheless, thanks again for the excellent discussion.