Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:38:06 +0200

Am 19.09.2010 12:25, schrieb Nicola Pero:
> Summarizing the discussion, the changes that we want to make to gnustep-make
> are:
>
>  * make 'fhs' the default filesystem layout (so, by default everything is
> installed in /usr/local/
>    using a Unix layout) (with the exception of apple-apple-apple because
> there people are using
>    gnustep-make to compile Apple stuff, they're not really installing GNUstep)

Fine.

>  * add help for how to use each filesystem layout (printed at the end of
> configure)

Fine.

>  * if installing into /usr/local/, install GNUstep.conf into
> /usr/local/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
>    instead of /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf

Why only in this case? We could make it the default on all systems (but
my OpenSuse 11.3 doesn't have this directory by default) or find a
better conditions for this.

>  * add a --remember-prefix-and-layout and --forget-prefix-and-layout options
> to configure (or similar)
>    that will enable remembering the prefix and layout across configure
> invocations.  This will be
>    disabled by default as it would confuse new users (and we're picking all
> the default options to
>    be best for new users).

This is a very important part of the setup. It is not just that I am to
lazy type the file system layout selection each time I install GNUstep
make, which is at least after every change to that package. We also need
a way to make sure that people installing software on top of an existing
GNUstep installation (e.g. a new version of make) cannot screw up this
installation by using a different file system layout. Or at least wont
do so by default :-)
Because of that I would think we need to make this setting the default.
Most likely we are going to implement this via a new configuration file
that stores these two values and that file needs to be present on each
GNUstep installation and should be respected at all times. Except when
somebody sets a specific configuration switch of course. We still have
the case where you need to try out things and want them to end up in a
completely different place.

>  * update all the documentation everywhere to discuss the 'fhs' layout ...
> inside and outside
>    of gnustep-make
>
>  * (potentially, this is a new idea) rename 'fhs' to 'unix' ?

Not sure if this is a good idea.