Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: Jamison Hope
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:03:42 -0500

On Nov 17, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Germán Arias wrote:

On mié, 2010-11-17 at 22:30 +0100, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
I second that. Installation from source is a hurdle - but then again:
installing GNOME from source is not simpler. But who does this
nowadays? Everybody is using the package manager of the respective
distribution for that. So we need to make the distributions aware of
GNUstep IMHO. Excellent support for the distributions' package
maintainers is key here.

Currently many distros have the latest packages of GNUstep: OpenSuse,
Debian Squeeze, Fedora 14, Gentoo, Arch Linux, T2, OpenBSD, Frugalware
linux. If these packages works or not is other thing.

Of course there others big distros that don't offers GNUstep, like:
Ubuntu, Mandriva and Slackware.

Ubuntu does offer GNUstep:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gnustep&searchon=names&suite=maverick&section=all

I don't know how up-to-date it is, but it's there.

-Jamie

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group