Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31775 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Tools/pl2link.

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31775 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Tools/pl2link.m
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:04:10 +0100

Hi Greg,

could you please explain the code in this patch? I know that our current
desktop link generation requires some rework, but I don't get the idea
of hard coding the path to openapp into a desktop link.
I would expect that the p2link code runs on the packaging machine which
may have a different file system layout to the machine where the created
.desktop file will be used.

Your code adds support for the case where openapp is not in the path set
by the environment. But then, if openapp isn't in the path, why would we
rely on it when starting an application? Wouldn't it be simpler to use
the full path to the executable in that case?

As far as I know the desktop files aren't used heavily for GNUstep
applications. Still it is great that you try to bring support up to the
current version of the specification.

Fred