Re: NSSearchField remaining issues

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: NSSearchField remaining issues
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:54:49 +0100

Doug Simons wrote:

There are a couple of little things left that I didn't manage to track down, though, so if anyone else has an idea or cares to take a look that would be much appreciated. Specifically:

1. Clicking in the search field when it contains text but is not already being edited causes the insertion point to be placed in front of the text rather than at the click location. I tried to trace this problem in the debugger but there are lots of methods involved. It seems to basically be calling the same code as ordinary text fields, but it doesn't work the same for search fields for some reason.

The problem is the -mouseDown: override of NSSearchField. The insertion point is set somewhere inside the code called from NSTextView's -mouseDown: method, but the current implementation in NSSearchField bypasses the super class completely. I think the NSSearchField implementation should more carefully check the location of the mouse click and either call the super class implementation (if the click is inside the text rectangle), or let the cell start mouse tracking (if the click is outside the text rectangle).

2. On Windows, using the WinUX theme, the search menu items don't highlight as you drag the mouse over the menu. Other popup and pulldown menus are highlighting fine, and I think this is calling the same underlying code in a similar way (although I didn't dig into it extensively). So if anyone has an idea what might be missing here that would be helpful.

I can't comment on this one, as I'm not using Windows at present.

Wolfgang