Re: Git?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Git?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:47:35 -0500

Riccardo/Banlu,

CVS hasn't seen an update in many years and has several shortcomings
which do not need to be explained or discussed here.  Indeed, it would
lengthen the thread by many orders of magnitude to do so.

SVN is a good middle ground.  It fits GNUstep's needs very well at this point.

GIT is, in my opinion, too complicated for small to mid sized projects
to use.  GIT is useful when you have a large number of contributors
where you are trying to keep several different branches going and pick
and choose commits from any of those branches.  This is, indeed, what
GIT was designed for.   We don't have this problem as much as I wish
we did. :)

We have no need of GIT's complexity on GNUstep and we also very badly
needed to move away from CVS's relative obsolescence (and, no, I'm not
kidding...CVS, while good in it's day has, indeed, SEEN it's day).

When something does come along which suits the needs of this project
better, then I'm sure we will all, as a group, determine what's best.

GC